Polynesian languages like Māori, Samoan and Niuean use macrons to mark long vowels. There are different ways you can insert macrons when you type on a computer, including through the use of codes such as Alt + 0257 for ā and Alt + 0275 for ē. The easier option, and one that can be used outside of the Microsoft Word environment, is setting up your input language as English (New Zealand) and using the Māori keyboard.
All you need to do then is press the ~ key (top left of the keyboard) followed by the relevant vowel.
macronˈmakrɒn/nounplural noun: macrons
- a written or printed mark (¯) used to indicate a long vowel in some languages, or a stressed vowel in verse.
How do you change your language settings?
This depends on whether you use Windows 10, Windows 8, Mac OS, or any other operating systems. Below is an outline of the process for the most common operating systems.
In Windows 8 and 10:
- Click the Start menu and select Settings.
- Select Time & language.
- Click Region & language in the left column.
- Select Additional date, time, & regional settings at the bottom.
- Click Change input methods under Language.
- On the English (New Zealand) line, click Options.
- If Māori is not listed under Input method, select Add an input method and install the Māori keyboard.
This video may help you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw5Cm43ZDBc
In Windows 7:
- On the Language bar, click the Input language button and select English (New Zealand). If you don’t see the Language bar, right-click the task bar, point to Toolbars and click Language bar.
- Click the Keyboard layout button and select the Māori keyboard.
On a Mac:
- Click on the Apple in the top left and open System Preferences.
- Open Language & Text.
- Click on the Input Sources tab.
- Scroll down the input methods list until you find Māori. Tick this. At the bottom of the dialog tick
Show Input menu in menu bar.
- Now you have the input menu shown at the top right by your name. If you have multiple keyboards enabled, you may choose the Māori keyboard on the input menu.